Sep 24, 2010

Recommendation (Chick Lit)

There are so many books that I absolutely loved, and recommend that I've read before I started my blog, so sadly they never got reviewed here.  I really want to spotlight these books and put out there that I wholeheartedly recommend them.  Right now I want to put the spotlight on a chick lit book I read around 4 years ago.  First, I would like to put out there that my taste in books have changed, I use to at one time only read chick lit books, but though I dabble in a chick lit here and there, my joy in that genre has waned.  The book i'm mentioning is one that still puts a smile on my face when I think about it, and yes, I still think about the characters.  Okay, so the book is





The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Men I've Dated
Author: Shane Bolks
Publisher:  Avon Trade
Date Published:  May 5th 2005


From Goodreads


Not so long ago in a galaxy of single men ...

Rory Egglehoff is looking for her knight, but she seems to attract only nerds ... until Hunter Chase touches down in the office next door.

Her high-school crush and quintessential dream man, Hunter sends Rory's pulse into hyperdrive. Now all she needs is to get gorgeous Hunter to notice her, take her to their high-school reunion, and pledge his undying love.

But putting the Ultimate Jedi Plan into play is harder than it sounds. An unfortunate incident at the gym, a family straight out of "The X-Files," and some seriously suspicious pizza toppings all conspire to send her plan spinning outrageously out of control. And for one would-be princess, confronting the Dark Side is child's play compared with landing the perfect hero ...

------------

Why do I recommend this?

First, the characters are great.  Rory is such a nerd, but of course has that heart of gold.  She is definitely the underdog, and don't we all root for the underdog.  I think all can find a bit of us in Rory.  So yeah Rory is a nerd, and hey why not have Rory a a Star Wars geek!  There are quite a bit of Star Wars references, it didnt bother me and i'm not a Star Wars fan, infact, I don't think I've watched the whole movie before.  Hunter is dreamy.  I love that he's matured, but also flawed.  He still stereotypes, but is growing as a person, and Rory is a big reason for his growth.

Secondly, there relationship had me giggling like a school girl.  I love stories of love that feature two people who are complete opposites.  So not only was I giggling, but I was laughing too.  Yes, the story is predictable but you read the last page with a smile, and are completely satisfied at it's ending.  I remember reading this book in record time.  I was that glued to Rory and Hunter!

Seriously, you should really give this a read!

You can get this book new for .1 on Amazon





Signature

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I don't read as much chick lit as I used to. I've begun to venture back into the genre after a hiatus. I'll have to put this one on my list.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the review. It's nice to know you remember the book!

    Shana Galen/Shane Bolks

    ReplyDelete
  3. this actually sounds good. thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!