Nov 30, 2011

Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins



Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author:  Stephanie Perkins
Publisher:  Dutton
Publication Date:  September 29th 2011

From Goodreads:  

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion..she believes in costume.  the more expressive the outfit-more sparkly, more fun, more wild- the better.  but even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future.  And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket- a gifted inventor- steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

--------------------------

Lola and the Boy Next Door is a solid 3 for me.  In know way was it better than Anna, but of course that is my opinion.  Things just didn't come together so perfectly for me.  

Lola is unique and I love that about her, but I also think she's immature and melodramatic. First, Lola and Cricket have some past that hurt Lola, so when he moves back it's *gasp* hard for Lola.  When I found out what happened between them both I was like "Seriously".  Such hoopla for nothing, and that it affected her so much made me think she's childish.  It seems like I don't like her but I do like Lola, she just got on my nerves a little.  It's hard reading Lola without comparing it to Anna.  I loved Anna.  I just liked Lola.  Now Cricket did absolutely nothing for me.  He was nice, and caring.  I wanted to get charmed by him just like I was charmed by Etienne, but Cricket doesn't have as much personality.  Cricket was boring. I totally enjoyed Lola's two dads, and best friend.  Great characters that brought something to Lola and the Boy Next door.  I was also very happy to see so much of Anna and Etienne in Lola.  Did I say I love them?!!  

Lola and the Boy Next Door had it's good parts as well as it's okay parts.  It took me 4 days to read it, and I read Anna and the French Kiss in 1 day.  I will read the next companion book because I'm a Stephanie Perkins fan and will always be.  Come on, Etienne was spun in her head and for that I bow down.



2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way! Anna was awesome, whereas Lola was kind of a drama-queen. She cried A LOT. And like, for silly reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a bit of a bummer! I haven't read either yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!