Nov 20, 2011

Catching Up With Some Mini Reviews


Handling the Undead

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

I really really loved Lindqvist's debut novel Let The Right One In.  I was super excited to find Handling the Undead in my mailbox, and immediately started it.  Sorry to say I was disappointed with Handling the Undead.  A book about the dead coming back sounds interesting, but it was actually very dull.  The beginning was solid, and I thought I was going to enjoy it, but then it just got weighed down by details, and nothing much was happening.  It was much more about what that meant for the family of the dead that just came back.  

My goodreads rating: 2 stars

I gave it 1 star for the great beginning pages, and 1 star for the mere fact that I actually gagged while reading about the decomposed bodies.

-------------------------------




Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan

If you've seen The Town, well this is the book it's based on.  I love the movie, naturally I wanted to read it to compare the differences.  Prince of Thieves was a great read, but I preferred the movie. There is some differences, most of them came at the end.  I liked the end of the movie better...way better.  The character Jem is seriously a bomb waiting to go off.  We get that sense in the movie, but boy is he even creepier in the book.  Flat out psychopath, seriously.  I also don't understand the appeal of the female lead, Claire.  She seemed weak in the movie, but even more so in the book.   I really enjoyed it.  There is action, and the characters are so detailed.  Charlestown is also very much a main character in Prince of Thieves.  It all worked out into a fleshed out solid read. 

My Goodreads rating:  4 Stars


--------------------------------


1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!