Mar 15, 2012

Breaking Up is Hard to Do


 







 I picked up Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins today and found myself not caring about what happens to Sophie and the other characters.  Why? Well, because it’s been so long since I have saw them last and honestly we have grown apart.  I lose interest in the storyline and characters and I can’t muster enough care to find out what happens.  Sometimes I find that I loved these characters and finished a book, anticipating the next already so I continue on loving them.  But then a year passes and many books in between have been read and I have made new friends and those old ones get lost.  They lost their luster, they lost me.


I can always reread, but then I’m not one that rereads books.  I don’t like going where I’ve already been.  I want to continue moving on with their lives not look back.  I have several books in the Blue Bloods series but I stopped at book three waiting for the next, then I gathered the rest but by that time I forgot what happened in the first three.  I overlook the next book in the series because I don’t remember what’s happen, and a reread is out of the question. So there they sit, unread. 

It seems that most YA books are series, and that is worrisome to me because how many hours am I going to give and relationships with characters am I going to build just to leave them because I have to wait months to find out what is going on with them.  I have many first books in a series waiting to be read and I’m just not quite sure if I want to give them a go.  I’m not saying I will never read a series, but I think I will be extra critical of them and make damn sure I want to continue reading them before I commit myself to them. 

So I bid farewell to these series:

Hex Hall Series

Dear Sophie and friends and enemies,
Sorry I will not find out how your world ends but I’m sure it ends well.  Some I remember a bit, some I remember not at all. Sorry Cal, I don’t remember you at all.  I hope to hear how you all turned out from our mutual friends that are staying with you all.

Blue Bloods Series

Dear characters,
I don’t even remember anyone's name, but I know that at one time we were all wonderful friends.  You kept me up with your stories and I appreciate that.  I will never forget ya’ll. I’m actually quite sad that I am saying goodbye, but I would be lying to think that we can continue.  We’ve lost touch.




I am not done saying bye to lost friends, but I will do it in my own time. I feel better now.  Breaking up is hard to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!