Mar 9, 2012

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby


Shooting Stars

Shooting Stars
Author:  Allison Rushby
Publisher:  Walker Childrens
Publication Date:  February 28th 2012


Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she's called in the biz.  The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn't mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she's sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett- teen superstar and the only celebrity who's ever been kind to her- at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston.  The money will be enough to pay for Jo's dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good.  Everyone wants to know what Ned's in for.  But Jo certainly doesn't know what she's in for:  falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.

-----------------

I really am not a fan of Shooting Stars, but I am a fan of Ms. Rushby.  There were some cute and great moments though.

I really enjoyed that I was positive it was going a certain way, to completely turn out another, and I didn't even see it coming.  I also enjoyed  getting to know Josephine better while she was at rehab.  That she was at a rehab to get pictures of Ned but ended up emotionally opening up and seizing the opportunity to look into herself was really great and insightful.  I felt when she opened up at rehab those were the moments I really liked and got to know Josephine.

What I didn't enjoy about Shooting Stars was that I didn't really like Josephine, only in the moments I mentioned above did I really like/care about her, and sadly there were not many of those moments.   And as for Ned everything was really surface stuff.  I don't know I just didn't feel like the characters were real.  There was also a lot of talk about the business of being a celebrity photographer..a pap. What kind of equipment Josephine had, what lengths she would go to get the job done. Stuff like that that was kind of boring to be honest.  

I was expecting and hoping for more when I started this.  Shooting Stars was actually one of my most anticipated book releases this year. Bummer!  I've seen many positive reviews out there, though, so I would definitely give it a try but you might want to check your local library first.

Goodreads rating: 2 stars

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to read this book but I can see it's not really for me. Maybe in another time :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!