Apr 22, 2011

Mini Reviews and DNF's

Prom and Prejudice

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher and Publication Date:  Point, January 1st 2011

Prom and Prejudice follows Pride and Prejudice pretty much. The difference is their young adults, and it takes place at a boarding school.  I'm a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice so I expected to love this one, and I did.  If   you've read Pride and Prejudice then you obviously know what's going to happen, but seriously who cares.  It's cute, and fun!

-----------------

Something Like Fate

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti
Publisher and Date Published:  Viking Juvenile, May 4th 2010

Something Like Fate fell right in the middle for me likable wise.  Honestly, the story fell a little flat to me.  Something has to stand out with the plot, because there are numerous YA books about liking your best friends boyfriend.  Not my favorite book about this topic.  My opinion, check it out of your library instead of spending the cash.

--------------------
DNF's (since the beginning of the year)


Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Read awesome reviews on Room, but sadly I couldn't finish it.  I wanted to like it so bad that I tried both print and audio version, but I abandoned both.  I just couldn't get past the kid talk.  I guess I wasn't feeling the child's point of view.  My husband even asked if I could turn off the audio because the kid talk was irritating him.


Nanny Returns

Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

No, just no!  I didn't care about the characters anymore, maybe too much time had passed since I had read The Nanny Diaries.  I got through a little less than half, and kept shaking my head while reading.  The storyline was somewhat choppy, and would go off in another direction.  Just couldn't do it.


Overprotected

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

This has a great rating on Goodreads.  There are four and five star ratings, then my lonely bad rating.  I am definitely in the minority here.  My main reason for the DNF was that I didn't like the main character.  She seemed so delicate, and the dad was from crazyville.  When I say I didn't like the main character, I mean I detested her.  She was immature, childish, and a goody two shoes.


Those are my no holding back opinions on these three DNF's.  Very interested to see if you loved any of these and why?


One last thing.....

HAVE A GREAT EASTER!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I'm sad you didn't like Room!! I thought it was so good, but you do have to get used to the kid speak. I couldn't read everything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minis. I'm not sure the Nanny Series is for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!