Jun 8, 2011

Book Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden

Forbidden
Author:  Tabitha Suzuma
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Date Published:   June 28th 2011

From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.


-----------------

How do I even begin to gush over a book that is about incest?  Incest without a doubt is not a typical YA topic, but for some reason Ms. Suzuma thought it made for a good story, and it did.  I'm surprised how much I liked Forbidden because of the ickiness factor.  

I did feel uncomfortable reading some parts of Forbidden.  The gross factor was too much at times, but I continued on because of all the talk about Forbidden being such an intense read.  Forbidden is like a symphony, it starts off pensive and melancholy then soars into madness.   You close the book feeling depleted of all your energy and just shaking your head.  What a ride the author takes you on. 

If you can stand to read a story about brother and sister in love than I really recommend you read it, if not just stay away.  

I'm curious to hear what others think.  Have you read Forbidden, or do you plan to?  

2 comments:

  1. I've been planning to read this for a while. I read a lot of books with heavy or serious topics, but i'm still a bit doubtful about this one. Your review is brilliant though, I think I'll have to give it a go :-)

    Leanne @ http://magicofreading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Forbidden is like a symphony, it starts off pensive and melancholy then soars into madness."

    Beautifully said. This was a really powerful read and I'm glad to see that others are having similar reactions as I did. It is a tough read, but well worth it and makes you think, which is always good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!