Jun 27, 2011

Book Review: Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt

Sometimes It Happens

Sometimes It Happens
Author:  Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Expected Publication:  July 12th 2011

From Goodreads:

On the last day of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend Sebastian dumped her. Facing a summer of loneliness, Hannah turns to her best friend Ava for comfort. Ava does what BFFs do: she stays by Hannah's side...until it's time for Ava to head up to Maine for the summer. Also left behind is Ava's boyfriend, Noah, who's such a great guy he gets Hannah a job at the diner he waits tables at. Slowly, Hannah comes out of her funk thanks to Noah's good conversation and their fun times at the diner. But things get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction--and one night, into a passionate kiss. 

The novel opens on the first day of senior year; the day Hannah is going to see Ava, Sebastian, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, everyone is paired up once again, but not the way you might think... 

---------------

I know me, and I would swear that I hate books about betrayal and infidelity.  Cheating is so not cool!  So why o'why do I love Sometimes It Happens

I really liked  Hannah despite the fact that she did a messed up thing.  Hannah is just a regular girl not a b*tch so why the hell did she do what she did? This is one of the reasons why I loved this book, I think she showed what being real really is.  Sometimes good people do shitty things.  Sometimes you can't help who you fall for.  Sometimes the consequences aren't enough for you to do the right thing especially when it comes to the heart.  Ava, Hannah's best friend is what I would call a High School friend.  A friend you will have in high school that won't carry on into adult life.  I say that because she comes off very fake and "me,me".  Noah, what do I say about him..maybe that I really liked him.  He cheated, but I still like him that says a lot about Ms. Barnholdt's writing. He is a very likable character.  I was loving Hannah and Noah.

Back to Lauren Barnholdt's writing, I love how she writes.  It's so authentic, and hits at the real crap that happens when you are a teen.  All the angst..I miss teenage angst.  I loved the pacing, characters, and story.  

Can you tell that I really liked Sometimes It Happens?  If you have a ARC read it, if you don't, pre-order.  


1 comment:

  1. I have an E-ARC of this that I am definitely now pushing to the top of my list, because I am dying to read it. I am not a big fan of cheating either, but sometimes like you said, good people can do shitty things. And I really love the summary of this! :)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!