Jun 2, 2011

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder


The Lipstick Laws
Author:  Amy Holder
Publisher:  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Date Published:  April 4th 2011

From Goodreads:  

At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?

---------------------

I'm going to assume that The Lipstick Laws has been compared to the movie The Mean Girls.  I thought there were so many similarities, the biggest being the mean girl clique that rule the school, out of fear mostly.  


I did enjoy The Lipstick Laws but the whole time I was reading I kept thinking this has been done before plenty of times.  I kept looking for a unique spin, and just couldn't find one.    Even with the lack of originality, and the predictability I was still antsy to see how Britney was going down.  There's something about seeing karma being played out.  Really," karma is a Bitch", and The Lipstick Laws shows how kick ass karma is. 

Debut author, Amy Holder did a great job writing.  I loved the simplicity of the novel, as well as the authenticity of the main protagonist's voice.  I understood her want to fit in, especially with her best friend gone, and I understood her want for revenge.  

The Lipstick Laws is a smack dab in the middle book for me.  I didn't love it, nor did I hate, but I do know I will definitely be reading more from the Amy Holder.  





1 comment:

  1. This one definitely felt like it's been done before, but I was still completely sucked in. I guess I'm a fan of that particular storyline. Plus, the book took place near Philly so I was already a fan :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!