Dec 29, 2011

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan


The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary
Author:  David Levithan
Publisher:  Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Publication Date:  January 4th 2011

From Goodreads:  

How does one talk about love?  Do we even have the right words to describe something that can be both utterly mundane and completely transcendent, pulling us out of our everyday lives and making us feel a part of something greater than ourselves?  Taking a unique approach to this problem, the nameless narrator of David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary has consrtucted the story of his relationship as a dictionary.  Through these short entries, he provides an intimate window into the great events and quotidian trifles of being with in a couple, giving us an indelible and deeply moving portrait in our time.

----------------------


I thought I would have some trouble with how it was written.  I mean I really don't care for verse books, and this is similiar in that we get crumbs a long the way and in the end the crumbs add up to a whole slice.  Honestly, I loved it.  Seriously.  Something about it was so honest and real, and jeez I can see the relation to me.  

One of my favorites

abyss, n.

There are times when I doubt everything.  When I regret everything you've taken from me, everything I've given you, and the waste of all the time I've spent on us.



A very quick awesome read.  At this moment I'm in awe of David Levithan.   I plan to buy my friends a copy for Valentines Day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!