Dec 10, 2011

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain



The Paris Wife
Author:  Paula McLain
Publisher:  Ballantine Books
Publication Date:  February 22nd 2011

Fiction novel told in the point of view of Ernest Hemingway's first wife, Hadley Richardson about their life in Paris in the 1920's.  From what I have read Ms. Mclain really did her research, so though this is fiction she kept everything as accurate as she could. 

  • I was mesmerized with the company they kept and how fascinating the conversation must have been.  The glimpses of the salon "get togethers" had me wishing I was sitting there with them.
  • Hadley was definitely a outsider in a way because she was not an artist, but she seemed the only real person among a bunch on egos.  I cared for her deeply while reading The Paris Wife.
  • Paula McLain did a fabulous job describing the settings, and she didn't have to use so much detail.  I love that.  
  • Not a fan of Ernest Hemingway, though I've only read The Old Man and the Sea, it bored me to tears that I could never ever pick up another one of his books.  How does this pertain to The Paris Wife, it doesn't but I want to make clear that any man that could write such drivel must be a pompous ass.  So Hadley won out in the end, in my opinion. 
  • Though she was only his wife for 6 years I would say she did get the best of him, and the best of times.  Can you imagine sipping cocktails with Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, or more like chugging alcohol, which is how Scott and Zelda rolled.  
I really enjoyed The Paris Wife.  I thought it was well written, and never boring. I always found "the lost generation" interesting.  So many personalities trying to best each other..how it must of been exhausting yet invigorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!