Jul 15, 2010

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell


The Carrie Diaries
Author:  Candace Bushnell
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray
Published on April 27, 2010
Hardcover, 400 pgs.


From Goodreads:

Before Carrie Bradshaw hit the big time in the City, she was a regular girl growing up in the suburbs of Connecticut. How did she turn into one of the most-read social observers of our generation?

The Carrie Diaries opens up in Carrie's senior year of high school. She and her best friends -- Walt, Lali, Maggie, and the Mouse -- are inseparable, amid the sea of Jens, Jocks and Jets. And then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture. Sebastian is a bad boy-older, intriguing, and unpredictable. Carrie falls into the relationship that she was always supposed to have in high school-until a friend's betrayal makes her question everything. With her high school days coming to a close, Carrie will realize it's finally time to go after everything she ever wanted.

Rabid fans of Sex and the City will love seeing Carrie Bradshaw evolve from a regular girl into a sharp, insightful writer. They'll learn about her family background -- how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. We'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where the next Carrie Diaries book will take place.



----------------------

I'm going to start off by putting out there that I am a huge Sex and the City fan.  I could watch the shows for hours, as well as rewatch the movies on a loop. lol!  Keep that in mind while reading my review. 

 I'm not a fan of the book Sex and the City, so I was curious about The Carrie Diaries.  Would I like it?  Would I recognize the fabulous Carrie Bradshaw?  Would I throw it across the room, or squeal with joy while reading?  I'm going to flat out tell you, I really liked The Carrie Diaires.

I recognized "New York" Carrie Bradshaw in this book.  In The Carrie Diaries, Carrie wants nothing more than to become a writer, and wants to go to New York to be in a writing program.  It seems like she's buying time until she feels her true life can start.   In the meantime though she is caught up in a relationship with resident bad boy, Sebastian.  Even in the suburbs of Connecticut Carrie is attracted to the "Big's" of the world. Together with her unique clique of friends we get an entertaining read from Ms. Bushnell.

I do want to add that though this is aimed at young adults, there is mature subjects discussed.  I might go as far as to say that it should probably be aimed more for mature audiences aka adults. 

If you are a fan of Sex and the City, I really think you would enjoy The Carrie Diaries.  As I have mentioned before I really disliked the Sex and the City book, but this book is definitely a good read. I was able to connect with the characters, and enjoy the 70's ride.



5 comments:

  1. I've so glad you liked this book because i have heard excellent things about it and was thinking about buying it myself. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try this one. I use to love the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just reviewed this one as well, and I felt the same as you. I didn't like the book Sex and the City (read it before the show started), loved the show and movies, and was a little worried about this having not liked the first book and I was also worried it might be a little too young adult.

    But I thought she did a fabulous job, you do see glimpses of New York Carrie, and the last page brought a huge smile to my face.

    Shan
    http://goodbooksandacupoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read the book in the first place but I loooove the show and movies! Thanks for the review... I'm thinking I'll really like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like yourself, I wasn't a huge fan of the Sex and the City book, but loved the show! It makes me excited to know you liked the Carrie Diaries, because I have it on hold at the library and I'm excited to give it a chance! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!