Feb 28, 2012

Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise


Bet Me

Bet Me 
Author:  Jennifer Cruise 
Publisher:  St. Martin's Paperbacks
Publication Date:  August 31st 2004

From Goodreads:

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily ever after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet.  Even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey.  Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky ans Min Dobbs.  Even if she does wear great shoes, and keep him on his toes.  When they say goodbye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again.  Soon, they're dealing with jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme donuts, and determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of.  Including the biggest gamble of all- true love.

--------------------

I was feeling kinda sad for all my books that have been on my shelves for years unread, I at least wanted one of my books to feel some love.  As I was perusing the shelves my eye kept on coming back to Bet Me.  I was looking for a feel good book...it was.

Minerva Dobbs is in Kody Keplinger's bright wise words the D.U.F.F (designated Ugly Fat Friend) of her group of friends.  Though really she isn't that, she just thinks of herself as that, until Cal comes along.  The way Cal comes into her life is not exactly gentleman like, but he's got explanations..um yeah.  Anyways, he is gorgeous and has a reputation but darnit she can't help but be attracted to him even if she knows he's asking her out because she overheard him accepting a bet.  Everything isn't what it seems, people.  

There is so many 5 stars rating of Bet Me on Goodreads, and I did find it enjoyable, but it got a 3 rating from me. For me there were quite a bit of times I found myself annoyed with Minerva, and Cal. Minerva is lacking self esteem, and it's surprising someone like Cal would find constantly having to build up her confidence fun.  Is that fun?  Anyways I wanted Minerva to tell her mom to shut up and see something great in herself.  For once I would love to read a book with a women who is slightly overweight BUT is full of confidence, and is sure of herself.  Screw it let's make her even a little conceited, not surprised that some hot guy is looking at her, more like surprised that he isn't.  I'm tired of these girls needing a good looking guy to tell them they are worthy, to actually believe that they are worthy.  Also, there was a lot of talk about food.  Every time Minerva put food in her mouth she was borderline obscene with her moans and groans.  LOL! It was annoying.  Food is awesome, I love my food but orgasmic it ain't.  

I did love the back and forth conversations between Cal and Minerva.  There interactions were not always annoying but instead cute and fun.   Plus, and this is a big plus, Minerva had funky unique shoes.  Ms. Cruise always made note somehow of the shoes that Minerva had on.  I love shoes!  I also enjoyed the supporting characters with the exception of one overly protective friend. I forgot her name already, but anyway she was way annoying.  

Bet Me is not the best chick lit out there, but it was a nice read, nevertheless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!