Jun 25, 2010

The Karma Club by Jessica Brody



The Karma Club
Author: Jessica Brody
Publisher:  Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Hardcover, 272 pgs.



Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma works. It’s that mysterious, powerful force that brings harmony to the universe. You know—do good things and you will be rewarded, do something bad and Karma will make sure you get what’s coming to you. A sort of cosmic balancing act.


But when Mason Brooks, Maddy’s boyfriend of two years, gets caught tongue-wrestling with Miss Perfect Body Heather Campbell, and absolutely nothing happens to either of them—except that they wind up the hot new couple of Colonial High School, it seems like Karma has officially left Maddy in the lurch. That’s why Maddy and her best friends, Angie and Jade, decide to start the Karma Club—a secret, members-only organization whose sole purpose is to clean up the messes that the universe has been leaving behind. Whether they’re modifying Heather Campbell’s acne cream as part of “Operation Butterface,” or righting a few wrongs when it comes to Angie and Jade’s own slimy exes, they know they’re just doing what Karma should have done in the first place. They’re taking care of one another.


Sometimes, though, it isn’t wise to meddle with the universe. Because it turns out, when you mess with Karma, Karma messes back. Now Maddy must find a way to balance her life for good, even as everything around her seems to be toppling to the ground.


-----------

First, I have to say that I totally believe in karma.  I wonder if that is why I enjoyed this book, because honestly it was predictable.  I loved the whole giving karma a push in the right direction.  How many of us get wronged, and can't wait till karma kicks in.  Well, The Karma Club is about not drumming your nails waiting for the much deserve justice to come.


Maddy and her friends take matters in their hands and decide to give a little payback to some people that have done them wrong, but do things really turn out how they thought?  Is karma something you can push.  As I mentioned above The Karma Club was really predictable, but I still liked it.  The characters were clearly defined...the good, the bad, and the plain ugly (personality wise).  I liked how some characters particularly one cute boy surprised them all.  Never judge a book by it's cover. 

Their methods of paying back was okay, but slightly lacking in orginality.  I could have thought of way better ways, but I'm evil like that.  I enjoy reading Jessica Brody's books, and will continue to read them.  The Karma Club was no exception. 

4 comments:

  1. Love your review on this one!
    AND thanks for entering my contest. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey :) I am loving your site. I saw you on PBS. Anyway, I have been working on a book blog for a while, without having the time to actually post anything....but I noticed here where you have Shh...I'm reading...is that a gadget?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks! :) The Shh..I'm Reading is the HTML/javascript gadget, and I just titled it Shh..I'm Reading, and just put the html code that you find on Goodreads when you click on the share link.

    I'm sorry if I'm making this confusing. Feel free to email me.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!