May 19, 2011

Summer and The City by Candace Bushnell



Summer and the City
Author:  Candace Bushnell
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray
Date Published:  April 26th 2011
Series: Carrie Diaries (BK 2)

From Goodreads:

Summer is a magical time in New York City and Carrie is in love with all of it—the crazy characters in her neighborhood, the vintage-clothing boutiques, the wild parties, and the glamorous man who has swept her off her feet. Best of all, she's finally in a real writing class, taking her first steps toward fulfilling her dream.

This sequel to The Carrie Diaries brings surprising revelations as Carrie learns to navigate her way around the Big Apple, going from being a country "sparrow"—as Samantha Jones dubs her—to the person she always wanted to be. But as it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile her past with her future, Carrie realizes that making it in New York is much more complicated than she ever imagined.

With her signature wit and sparkling humor, Candace Bushnell reveals the irresistible story of how Carrie met Samantha and Miranda, and what turned a small-town girl into one of New York City's most unforgettable icons, Carrie Bradshaw.



------------------------


A little spoilery


When we last left Carrie Bradshaw in the Carrie Diaries she had just arrived in New York for a writing class.  What a way to end the book!!!  I have been waiting not so patiently for the sequel Summer and the City.  I wanted to read about Carrie's first adventures in the city, and I wanted to know how Miranda and Samantha, and Charlotte came to be a huge part of Carrie's life.  

In Summer and the City Miranda and Samantha do make their appearance but Charlotte is nowhere to be seen until the last page, so i'm going to have to wait impatiently again for the next book. BLAH!  I did find Summer and the City slightly less entertaining than it's predecessor, but nevertheless I do enjoy reading about Carrie Bradshaw and the gang, especially New York City.   I was shocked with Samantha in Summer in the City. I don't know if it makes reading these books difficult being a huge fan of the show. I feel like the show defined the characters, not the Sex and the City book.  I don't know I was confuse and didn't recognize her, as for Miranda, well she is a feminist with a capital F. I love reading Miranda's rants on society and feminism.  I love Miranda.

Summer and the City is an entertaining read even more if you are a fan of Sex and the City. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a really interesting read! I most especially like that it's set in New York;)

    I've never heard of it and its first book before but I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the great review!

    Happy reading,
    Leslie
    booksandmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating reading these books. I wasn't the biggest fan of the adult series because I watched the show before I started reading them and didn't feel as connected to the characters. But from your review it sounds like it might be an entertaining read. Although if they keep leaving you hanging I might wait until the next book in the series comes out and just read all three together.

    Thanks for the really helpful review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!