Jul 5, 2011

Book Review: Playing Dirty by Susan Anderson

Playing Dirty (Sisterhood Diaries, #3)

Playing Dirty
Author:  Susan Anderson
Publisher:  HQN Books
Expected Publication:  July 26th 2011

From Goodreads:

When old enemies are thrown together, all bets are off…
Way back in high school, golden boy Cade Gallari publicly revealed he'd slept with "fat girl" Ava Spencer to win a bet. Now a decade older and a head turner with her own concierge business, Ava isn't the gullible dreamer she once was— and she plans to prove it when Cade, hotter than ever, breezes back into town with an offer she can't refuse.

A documentary film producer, Cade is shooting a movie about the mysterious mansion Ava inherited. And he wants her as his personal concierge. She's certainly professional enough to be at his beck and call without giving him everything he wants. Like another shot at having her in his bed. But Ava doesn't count on Cade's determination. Because he's never gotten over her— and he's not above playing dirty to score a second chance at a red–hot future…


--------------------


 Everything about the synopsis of Playing Dirty sounded like a bucket of fun.  I did enjoy Playing Dirty, but some things didn't work for me.

The biggest thing in a romance are the characters.  Is there something about their interactions that make you giddy? Giddiness is a huge sign of an author hitting it right on the dot in the romance genre for me.  In Playing Dirty some of Cade and Ava's flirtations left me uncomfortable.  I just wasn't feeling the vibe between them so much.  I thought as much as Ava would talk about how much Cade has hurt and humiliated her she actually got over it pretty quickly.  Cade was a alright love interest but I guess I was expecting more. Maybe a reformed bad boy?  He actually comes across as a puppy dog.  Some people like puppy dogs though, so that's all preference.  Ava talked a lot of crap, but did not back it up.  She was kind of weak when it came to Cade, though she did not do much chasing.  That was all Cade.

The element of danger in Playing Dirty also didn't fit in the story well.  It seemed added in. There is a guy looking for lost jewels, it was distracting, and when the author would jump back to that part I would be "O'yeah"  forgot about the bad guy. My favorite was the interaction between Ava and her two best friends.  I liked them and their bond with each other.  I actually haven't read the two previous books that pertained to Ava's best friends but I will be on the lookout for them.  

Though there were problems for me with Playing Dirty I think people who have followed this series will probably enjoy it more.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!