Dec 30, 2011

Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom


Ditched: A Love Story

Ditched
Author:  Robin Mellom
Publisher:  Disney- Hyperion
Expected Publication:  January 10th 2012

From Goodreads:

High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom.  Designer dresses and strappy heels?  Not her thing.  So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.

Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat handle first.

Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.

And then ditched her.

Now, as the sun rises over her small town, and with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-eleven, Justina must piece together - stain by stain on her thrift- store dress - exactly how she ended up dateless.  A three- legged Chihuahua was involved.  Along with demolition derby- ready Cadillac. And there was the incident at the tattoo parlor.  Plus the flying leap from Brian Sontag's moving car...

But to get the whole story, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her.  And discover if losing out at prom can ultimately lead to true love.

-------------

When I first read the description of Ditched, I was reminded of the 80's film starring Keanu Reeves, Before Last Night.   Keanu Reeves sold his prom date to a pimp, and that sure didn't happen in Ditched, but the premise is the same..they both lose their prom dates, and can't remember a darn thing.  
I really liked Ditched but there are some serious flaws in it that made it not up to par to, I don't know, lets say Before Last Night.  Why couldn't I like Justina a little bit more?  I think it would have a made a huge difference with my feelings about Ditched.  The fact that she's a kissing bandit (scandalous *rolls eyes*) is ridiculous.  High school kids make out, it's a fact.  Annoying how she replayed how she got this so called reputation.  Yeah, Justina is considered not quite but sorta easy cause she likes to kiss.  Not have sex, not give fellatio but the good ol' nasty deed of kissing.  She was comical at times but mostly annoying.  Ian, is hardly around really.  We get to know him through Justina.    I liked him wish I knew him a little better but that's alright.  My favorite though were the stoner kids that Justina finds herself with that night after getting 'ditched'.  

The best part of Ditched is the shenanigans the stoners and Justina get into.  I think she owes them a dime bag for making her night memorable.  Without them Ditched would have been boring for me.  The conclusion was perfect for me.  I love how teenagers blow things way out of proportion.  That's what Justina did but it's perfect.  It fits her and the dramatics of being a teenager.  

Some parts were funny, some were annoying.  But all in all it was decently good.. I won't wibble wobble with my recommendation for Before Last Night though.  Watch it, and if you end up not liking it at least you got Keanu for an hour and 31 minutes.  Win/win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!