Aug 17, 2009

Review of Tattoo- Jennifer Lynn Barnes



Tattoo- Jennifer Lynn Barnes


From Goodreads- Bailey Morgan isn't the type of girl who shows a lot of skin, but somehow, she ends up in a dressing room at the mall with her friend Delia applying a temporary tattoo to her lower back. Never one to suffer fashion doubt, trendsetter Delia knows exactly where she wants her own tattoo: on her stomach, right where her shirt ends—can you say "midriff"? Annabelle, the quiet one, chooses the back of her neck, and tomboy Zo plasters hers on the top of her foot. The tattoos will last for three days, and Delia's sure that with them, the four friends will absolutely kill at the school dance.

Unfortunately, killing is just what someone has in mind, and Bailey, Delia, Annabelle, and Zo are in for the battle of their lives. Along with her tattoo, each girl receives a gift—a supernatural power to help them in their fight. As Bailey's increasingly frightening dreams reveal the nature of their enemy, it becomes clear to the girls that it's up to them to save the world. And if they can get Delia to stop using her newfound power to turn gum wrappers into Prada pumps, they might actually stand a chance.




I read this book a couple of weeks back, and I've been meaning to write a review, but I wasn't really sure how I felt about it. This book is the first in a series about 4 friends Bailey, Delia, Annabelle and Zo who each get a fake tattoo, and soon after find themselves with a supernatural power. The power is meant to help them save the world from evil.

After thinking about it I realized I really don't care what happens with the 4 girls, so I won't be continuing the series. Overall, the book seemed rushed. The concept was good, but the delivery lacked depth. For instance, the girls get these super powers, and immediately afterwards start arguing who got the best power. What? You just find out that you can turn your hair from brown to blonde, and your thinking about what cool accessories you can make from things in a trash can, it just doesn't make sense to me. Then the whole fighting the evil thing was confusing, and I never got the sense of real danger. The characters were cliche, you got the smart one, the fashionable one, the tomboy one, and the down to earth one. Could they have been more simple? I think the reason why I was having a hard time deciding what I felt about it was because I hate to give up on a series, but there are to many books out there to waste my time on something I didn't like.
Final thoughts, the synopse sounded promising, and I always like a good series, but my opinion is that this book is not worth reading. There are to many good YA books out there.

Rating: 2/5
(concept good, execution bad)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!