Dec 1, 2012

It Started With a Kiss by Miranda Dickinson

It Started With A Kiss
It Started With A Kiss...Author:  Miranda Dickinson
Publisher:  Avon
Pubication Date:  November 10th 2011
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars

From Goodreads:

From the author that gave you the Sunday Times top 10 selling title Fairytale of New York, join our heroine Romilly as she discovers how far she will go to find the man of her dreams.  What would you do to find the one that got away?  As the singer in a wedding band, Romily Parker has seen her fair share of happy endings, even though her own love life isn't quite as simple.  On the last Saturday before Christmas, (shortly after disastrously declaring her love for best friend Charlie), Romily has a brief encounter with a handsome stranger whose heart-stopping kiss changes everything.  Determined to find him again, Romily embarks on a yearlong quest, helped (and sometimes hindered) by her enthusiastic Uncle Dudley, cake-making Auntie Mags and flamboyant Wren.  Will she find the man of her dreams?  Or could true love be closer than she thinks?  

--------------------------------

It Started With A Kiss is such a cute read.  I was in the mood for a Christmas chick lit book to get me in the Christmasy mood, and the whole premise of a random handsome guy kissing a girl after telling her she's beautiful brought a smile to my face.  And I was smiling the whole time I was reading it.

Romily is just a normal girl who is pining over her guy best friend Charlie, she just blurts out while drinking a cup of coffee with him that she loves him, and then is immediately horrified when she sees his stunned reaction.  This happens in the first chapter so it isn't spoiler, anyways she just ups and takes off running into a crowded shopping area.  That is when the magic happens with the random hot fella. What I loved about Romily is her fun spirit and tenacity for finding this guy, and she didn't even get his name before he is called away by a friend. She's normal and very much like a friend you probably have, I know I do.  She's a singer in a band The Pinstripes with a group of friends, these friends are with her every step of the way while trying to find the "the Phantom Kisser", the name they've given the mystery guy.  Miranda Dickinson did a really awesome job fleshing out these characters, so that you, the reader, can love them as much as she surely does.  Their interactions are fun, and the loyalty to each other is felt through their conversations and actions throughout the book.    Charlie is part of this band and in the beginning I wasn't feeling his character, but I fell for him, just like I fell for the others.  Also involved in Romily's search is her Aunt and Uncle, sadly I didn't enjoy them as much.  I think they are suppose to provide the comedy, but I found them annoying more than anything.  They are all over this book, and are my reason for the 3.5 rating.

The plot turned into more that just Romily finding her guy, it became more about Romily taking risks and challenging herself to be a more better successful person. There is growth with her as a woman, and I can appreciate a chick lit novel where the main character grows from her experiences.  I loved the ending, it was perfect.

If you are looking for a light Christmasy chick lit read, I would recommend picking this up, hey you might even love Auntie and Uncle Dudley.


1 comment:

  1. Great Review!!! I am definitely going to have to read this one!! It sounds perfect for this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!