Mar 27, 2011

Take A Chance on Me by Jill Mansell.

Take a Chance on Me


Take A Chance On Me 
Author:  Jill Mansell
Genre:  Chick Lit, Women's Fiction
Publisher:  Headline Review
Date Published:  February 18th 2010

From Goodreads:

Cleo Quinn doesn't have a great track record when it comes to men, but now Will's come along she's optimistic. Handsome, attentive and an absolute gentleman when it comes to her questionable cooking skills, he could be her Mr Right. Things are definitely looking up for Cleo... apart from one small problem with a rather large ego. Johnny LaVenture, sculptor extraordinaire and her childhood adversary, is back in Channing's Hill and tormenting Cleo as if he'd never been away.

But life never goes to plan, does it? Johnny isn't the only one stirring up trouble and, for Cleo's family and friends, all kinds of sparks are starting to fly. If you think you can put the past behind you, think again...

--------------------------

Lately, I have been in a fluffy chick lit kind of mood, and Jill Mansell has been a great author for me to satisfy the reading mood i'm in. 

Cleo finally thinks she has found the perfect man.  Will is everything she has every wanted and looked for in a man.  When former school tormentor Johnny La Venture comes back to Channing’s Hill for his father’s funeral and subsequently decides to stay to sell off his father’s property, Cleo is not happy. Not at all!  But she is so glad that she has perfect Will around to show Johnny La Venture that she is not the same girl she use to be..in fact, she is so much better, and she has Will to prove that. She snagged him didn't she? Added in with Cleo, Will and Johnny is Cleo’s friends and family that are also going through their own problems, and situations. 

One of the best things about Jill Mansell’s books are her characters.  It’s pretty much a given that if I love the characters I will like if not love the book.  The plot is so much better when you actually care what happens to the characters.  The characters she creates are so fun, and relatable.  I always find myself wishing that these were real people and my friends.  Her books also cover quite a bit of characters, and not just a particular one.  We get a couple of different stories all in one book, and Mrs. Mansell doesn’t sacrifice any of her characters for others.  I always finish her books fully satisfied with a smile on my face.
 
The only problem with Take A Chance On Me is that the ending is predicable, and typical chick lit. BUT if you prefer great characters over plot than I truly believe that you will love Take A Chance on Me, and by plot I mean a predictable one, not a bad one.

Jill Mansell is creator of wonderful down to earth, spunky, and fun characters.  You will find yourself laughing, and entertained while reading Take A Chance on Me.

Why don’t you take a chance on it. (cheesy, I know but I couldn’t help it)

2 comments:

  1. Great honest review :) Chick lit can be predictable so I totally feel ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I haven't heard of this one!
    I don't really care too much about the predictability, in fact, in love stories I kinda like them to be predictable. I like them to end how I like them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!