Dec 1, 2010

Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott


Something, Maybe
Author:  Elizabeth Scott
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Date Published:  March 24th 2009

From Goodreads:

Everyone thinks their parents are embarrassing, but Hannah knows she's got them all beat. Her dad made a fortune showing pretty girls--and his "party" lifestyle--all over the Internet, and her mom, who was once one of her dad's girlfriends, is now the star of her own website. After getting the wrong kind of attention for far too long, Hannah has learned how to stay out of sight...and that's how she likes it.



Of course, being unknown isn't helping her get noticed by gorgeous, confident Josh, who Hannah knows is her soul mate. Between trying to figure out a way to get him to notice her, dealing with her parents, and wondering why she can't stop thinking about another guy, Finn, Hannah feels like she's going crazy. She's determined to make things work out the way she wants....only what she wants may not be what she needs.


----------------

I’m surprised I didn’t fall in love with Something, Maybe, it had all the elements that I love in YA books, but for some reason I just couldn’t get into the story, or feel anything for the characters.

I honestly can’t pinpoint exactly what it is that didn’t do it for me, but in all honestly I was bored. Hannah has a huge crush on Josh, but Josh has a girlfriend, on the other side is annoying Finn, who loves to get on her nerves, and is throwing around some signals that he is interested. To top all that Hannah’s dad is a player reminiscent of Hugh Hefner, along with the lifestyle, and she is being raised by her mother who doesn’t quite act her age. I mean, her mom’s money comes from running a website containing pictures of herself, which she sells.

The story seemed somewhat rushed, and the characters were kind of what you thought they should be like. For instance, her dad is clearly inspired by Hugh Hefner, so why not have him exactly like Mr. Hefner (i.e multiple girlfriends, irresponsible), and the mom, yeah, lets make her a needy sexual imbecile. I’ve read many reviews raving about Something, Maybe, maybe they got something different out of it, but I thought it was lacking depth.  As for the Hannah and her relationship woes, I just didn't really care.  I didn't have a favorite I was rooting for.  She over analyzed everything, and I just started getting bored.  Should I get him a coffee, or not?  If I get him a coffee will he want it or not?  Get my drift.

Something, Maybe is clearly not one of my favorite Elizabeth Scott. books, but I’m still a fan, I loved Perfect You. Definitely a case of tomato, tomahto.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!